What Is Academic Self-Efficacy?
A youth’s motivation and confidence in their academic performance.
Why Does Academic Self-Efficacy Matter?
Academic self-efficacy lends itself to higher grade point averages and standardized test scores, fewer suspensions and expulsions, and longer-term gains in skills to identify, attain, and retain a career (Afterschool Alliance, 2009; Zins, Weissberg, Wang, & Walberg, 2004).
How Can Program Boost Academic Self-Efficacy?
Prioritize Young People: Express to youth often that you expect them to try hard and do their best.
Facilitate Peer-to-Peer Engagement: Make sure your program includes opportunities for youth to work together in groups with other youth they’ve never met.
Coach Young People to Set and Achieve Their Goals: Help youth set personal goals and create plans to complete them. Encourage youth to take risks and push themselves and try activities/projects, especially when something was hard.
- TED | Dan Ariely - “What makes us feel good about our work?”: http://bit.ly/2h5uwKV
- TED | Rita Pierson - “Every kid needs a champion” http://ow.ly/KDRz309GOhQ
- TEDxVirginiaTech | Scott Geller - “The psychology of self-motivation”: http://bit.ly/2h4vxTQ
- RSA Animate | Daniel Pink - "Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us": http://bit.ly/1eVm5pI
- Aspen Institute National Commission on Social, Emotional & Academic Development | "Social, Emotional & Academic Development": http://bit.ly/2n4pkJP
- Canadian Education Association (CEA) | Youth Confidence in Learning and the Future - A Concept Paper: http://bit.ly/2flgLEp
- VeryWell | "Self Efficacy: Why Believing in Yourself Matters": http://bit.ly/2f8dNX9
- What Kids Can Do (WKCD) | How Youth Learn - “Motivation and Mastery Highlights”: http://ow.ly/fBPc309GFXT
- Reflectd | 4 Ways to Develop Self-Efficacy Beliefs: http://bit.ly/1WGyMfU
- Psychology Today | 15 Everyday Ways to Help Kids Believe in Themselves: http://bit.ly/1ol8rpp
Zins, J. E., Weissberg, R. P., Wang, M. C., & Walberg, H. J. (Eds.) (2004). Building academic success on social and emotional learning: What does the research say? New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
Afterschool Alliance. (2009). Taking a deeper dive into afterschool: Positive outcomes and promising practices. Washington, D.C. Retrieved from http:// www.afterschoolalliance.org/documents/Deeper_Dive_into_Afterschool.pdf.