What Is Self Management?
A youth’s ability to make choices, take positive risks and persist through life’s challenges.
Why Does Self Management Matter?
Increased self management correlates with longer-term outcomes such as higher grade point averages and standardized test scores, fewer suspensions and expulsions, and improved social development (Bandy & Moore, 2010).
How Can Programs Boost Self Management?
Prioritize Young People: Express to youth often that you expect them to try hard and do their best.
Facilitate Peer-to-Peer Engagement: Make sure your program includes opportunities for youth to work together in groups with other youth they’ve never met.
Coach Young People to Set and Achieve Their Goals: Help youth set personal goals and create plans to complete them. Encourage youth to take risks and push themselves and try activities/projects, especially when something was hard.
- TED | Ruth Chang - “How to make hard choices”: http://bit.ly/20jiN6x
- TED | Caroline Paul - “To raise brave girls, encourage adventure”: http://bit.ly/2nd3KhL
- TED | Reshma Saujani - “Teach girls bravery, not perfection”: http://ow.ly/1C1D309GOau
- TED | Raghava KK - “What's your 200-year plan?”: http://bit.ly/2x4dYbU
- Harvard Business Review | “Resilience Is About How You Recharge, Not How You Endure” http://ow.ly/I4SE30aapkO
- Quartz | “The 2 story plots that teach kids to build resilience”: https://qz.com/871998
- Quartz | “The Stanford professor who pioneered praising kids for effort says we’ve totally missed the point”: https://qz.com/587811
- STAT | “One reason young people don’t go into science? We don’t fail well”: http://bit.ly/2nGdoOb
- 7 Mindsets | “Smart Goal Setting For Teens”: http://7mindsets.com/smart-goal-setting-for-teens/
- Community Tool Box | "Youth Goal Setting": http://ow.ly/TIJk30aaqsP
Bandy, T., & Moore, K. A. (2010). Assessing self-regulation: A guide for out-of-school time program practitioners. Research-to-Results Brief, 2010-23.